The Agile Software Factory encourages scientific investigation and has generated a number of publications. Both students and faculty have traveled to present their papers at conferences in their field.
- Storer J., Chao, J. T., Torelli, A., & Ostrowski, A., "KnoWare: A System for Citizen-based Environmental Monitoring," Submitted to InSite Conference, July 2016, Tampa, Florida.
- Lu, Y., Chao, J. T., & Parker, K., "HUNT: Scavenger hunt with augmented reality," Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management (IJIKM), vol. 10, pp. 21-35, 2015.
- Chao, J. T., Pan, L., & Parker, K.R., "Campus event app - New exploration for mobile augmented reality”, Issues in Informing Science and Information Technology (IISIT), vol. 11, pp. 1-11, 2014.
- Chao, J. T., Du, T., Wagenheim. C. P., & Rippey, T. F., "Mise en Scène: A Film Scholarship Augmented Reality Mobile Application," Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management (IJIKM), vol. 9, pp. 19-30, 2014.
- Giannetto, D., Chao, J. and Fontana, A., “Gamification in a Social Learning Environment,” Issues in Informing Science and Information Technology (IISIT), vol. 10, pp. 195-207, 2013.
- Hordemann, G. and Chao, J. (2012), “Design and Implementation Challenges to an Interactive Social Media Based Learning Environment”, Information, Knowledge, and Management (IJIKM).
- Chao, J. and Warnke J. (2012), “Service-Learning through Agile Software Development,” in “Service-Learning in the Computer And Information Sciences,” Edited by Brian A. Nejmeh, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA.
- Chao, J., Parker, K. and Fontana, A. (2011), “Developing A Social Media Interactive Learning Environment,” Informing Science and Information Technology (IISIT), 8, pp. 323-334.
- Brown, J. and Chao, J. (2010), “Collaboration of Two Service-Learning Courses: Software Development and Technical Communication,” Informing Science and Information Technology (IISIT), 7, pp. 403-412.
- Chao, J. and Brown, J. (2009), “Cross-Departmental Collaboration for the Community: Technical Communicators in a Service-Learning Software Engineering Course,” Informing Science and Information Technology (IISIT), 6, pp. 001-013.
- Pfundstein, N., Chao, J. and Kresman, R. (2009), “An Application Architecture for E-Voting,” The 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSSE ’09), Wuhan, China, December 11-13, 2009.
- Chao, J. and Brown, J. (2009), “Empowering Students and the Community through Agile Software Development Service-Learning,” The Tenth International Conference on Agile Processes and eXtreme Programming in Software Engineering (XP 2009), Sardinia, Italy, May 26 – 30, 2009.
- Chao, J., & Randels, M. (2009). Agile software factory for student service learning. Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T ’09), Hyderabad, India, February 17 – 19, 2009.